UniMed is committed to respecting and protecting the privacy of our members and their personal information. We understand the need to safeguard your personal information and the importance of our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020.
Collection and usage of personal information
UniMed directly collects personal information when:
- you apply to become a UniMed member
- you become a member as part of a workplace scheme
- you use the My UniMed member self-service portal
Information held may include (but is not limited to):
- name, address, contact details, date of birth and email address
- payment details and history
- current or past private health insurance coverage including level of cover and claims made
- health information including pre-existing information
- employment details where the policy is connected to a workplace scheme.
UniMed holds this information to:
- consider eligibility for cover under a policy
- consider the specific terms applying to a policy (including any pre-existing conditions)
- administer the policy and membership with UniMed
- determine whether any benefit is eligible for cover under a policy
- process, investigate, and review any claims made and/or paid
- credit control
- prevent, detect, and investigate any instances of fraud
- contact you from time to time, including within a reasonable time of you ceasing to be covered by the policy, about products and services relating to UniMed
- to conduct analysis and research relating to UniMed’s current or proposed products and services.
UniMed may disclose your information to:
- the primary member / policyholder (or husband / wife / partner if also covered) or to individuals to whom the policyholder has granted authority to act on their behalf
- relevant health service providers of approved facilities
- any third party authorised by the primary member / policyholder or adult dependent
- an adviser associated with the policy (including the disclosure of health information)
- a group administrator (if part of a work scheme) for the purpose of premium administration or verification of eligibility to be part of a work scheme (excludes the disclosure of health information)
- our trusted business partners (for example, suppliers of services such as email deployment, mailing houses, research and insight agencies, and information technology)
- any other party in accordance with the law.
Is your information correct?
Any person about whom we hold information has rights under the Privacy Act to request any part of their private or health information held by UniMed. Prompt notification by phone or by My UniMed, phone or by email of any changes to contact details will help us ensure that all information UniMed holds is complete and up to date, and that we send correspondence to the correct address. Wherever possible, please provide a personal email address.
If you do not provide us with your information
If the information provided to UniMed is not accurate or complete, we may not be able to process the application or claim and it may result in UniMed not being able to provide cover until such information is provided. The consequences of providing incomplete, false, or misleading information are set out in the UniMed Conditions of Membership.
Is your information secure?
UniMed takes reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information is kept secure. We protect the privacy and security of the personal information we hold through the use of security access, firewalls, encryption, and computer security systems. UniMed has physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect members’ personal information which is held by us, and access to information stored electronically is restricted to staff whose positions require access to this. We may also use third party data storage providers and servers to store personal information.
Do you need more information?
Personal information is collected and held by Union Medical Benefits Society Ltd (UniMed), 165 Gloucester Street, Christchurch 8011. For further information regarding this privacy statement or to discuss the steps that have been taken to protect personal information and privacy, contact our Privacy Officer by calling 0800 600 666 or by emailing email@example.com.
Changes to this privacy statement
UniMed reserves the right to change this privacy statement from time to time. This privacy statement was last updated in May 2021.